Let’s get the obvious out of the way.. how darling is this faux fur bomber from Banana Republic? It’s the perfect addition to your closet for the holidays, except I went the complete opposite route & dressed it down ’cause I was feeling hipster.
This shoot was tough & to be honest, I almost gave up halfway through. Sometimes things don’t work as expected.. whether it’s the location, the lighting, the weather, or the outfit. But, I made some quick adjustments & convinced my photog (hey babe!) to try again & the pictures came out better than I expected. I wanted to share with you five tips that I pull out of my back pocket when I do feel like giving up.
- Find the sun. I like to shoot right after sunrise, or right before sunset. I never shoot in the middle of the day as the sun casts shadows in awkward places. But, find the sun! It highlights your face, even if it’s still behind clouds, & a bright face makes every picture better.
- Have options. Try different poses & different angles, as awkward as you may feel. Stand, sit, lean against a wall.. that way, you have plenty of options to choose from.
- Interrupt your photographer. I stop my photographer every few minutes to review what’s been taken. If I like a pose, but say, my hand looks crippled, I try the pose again.
- Do what you can with what you have. Initially, I had this t-shirt tucked out for this look, but after a few shots I felt it looked frumpy in photos. I debated whether I should drive home & change (or give up, ahem), but instead I tucked it in & changed my angles to avoid any straight on shots of the shirt.
- Take your time. Unless you’re booking a photographer on a per hour basis, take your time! I tend to feel bad, like I’m wasting their time, & try to rush through a shoot. But, I’ve learned to speak up if I’m not happy with what’s been captured & keep shooting until I am.
Do you have any tips you swear by? Shop my look below!